Saturday, April 3, 2010

How Can Public Schools Increase Parental Engagement Among Hispanic Families.


The Journey Begins Internet Radio for the engaged parent and dedicated educator discuss strategies schools can use to increase parental engagement among Hispanic families with Ms America Calderon, Tellin’ Stories Coordinator with Teaching For Change, Inc. located in Washington, DC.

Usually, I am asked if I was named because of the “country” so I use my name to educate people that America is not a country but a continent. I am from Guatemala. I was forced to flee my country in 1982. For the first six months in the U.S.A., I did not get a bed because I thought the “revolution” was going to win and we could go back soon. Twenty five years later, I am still here, we did not win the revolution, nothing has changed back in my country, but I got a bed. I started working in the Tellin’ Stories Project in February 2008 as a program manager and community organizer. I like working with such a diverse group of women in a collaborative, supportive way that I could not get anywhere else. I have three children: one lives in Mexico, one in Pittsburgh, and the youngest is finishing college in Providence, RI. I love biking to work, swimming and my passion is doing ceramics. My great accomplishments are my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Generated image

Contact Us

Educational Gateway
P.O. Box 12
Savage, Maryland 20763-9998
Office: 301.776.2384
Fax: 301.725.6383
Podcast Center: http://education4and2parents.podbean.com/